Thursday, June 23, 2011

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

An exchange from this morning, in which Margot fails - despite significant effort - to aggravate her older sister:

Margot:  "Claire and [insert name of any 3rd grade boy] sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

Claire:  "I wouldn't mind if he kissed me.  In fact, I wouldn't mind if any boy kissed me."

Margot (regrouping):  "Claire and the Loch Ness Monster, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N- . . . "

Claire:  "First, it's pronounced "lock" not "loCH."  Second, the Loch Ness Monster is a girl.  Third, it wouldn't even fit in a tree."

Margot (with exasperation):  "Claire and the Loch Ness Monster, sitting in a SWAMP, K-I-S-S-I-N-"

Claire:  "CHOMP!!"  (laughs hysterically)

Note:  to give credit where credit is due, Claire's approach here is a bit of an improvement over her prior methods for responding to provocation.