Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Which My Cooking Skills Are Insulted (Again)

I may have reached a new low on the cooking front:  Jane just offered to pay me not to make dinner.  When I declined her offer (in the amount of one dollar), she took a harder line and announced that, if I dared to make the chili that I was in the process of assembling, she would not, in the future, give me any money - ever.  She then poured herself a bowl of cheerios.

I suggested that she put the Cheerios away and reiterated that we - all of us - were going to have chili.  She brought in reinforcements.  Claire rushed in and decried the unfairness of it all:  "Two of us - Jane and me - do not want chili.  Only one person - Margot - does.  So, you should not be making chili."  (Don and I apparently hold only non-voting roles in the family.)  I continued with the chili-making process.

Claire gave up and left.  Jane sat sullenly at the table, swirling her Cheerios around in the bowl and thoughtfully lining up her last-ditch attempt to salvage dinner. 

Jane:  "Mommy, you know what?"
Me:  "Jane, I don't want to discuss the chili any more."
Jane:  "I'm not discussing the chili."
Me:  "Okay, what?"
Jane:  "I just want you to know that my mouth is really happy right now without any chili in it."