Saturday, February 20, 2010

Catalog Shopping

In what may be her most original request yet, Jane just asked me to buy her a baby from the Company Store catalog.

Jane (holding catalog open to a page with two babies):  "Mommy?  See these babies? With their mouths open?"
Me:  "Yes, aren't they cute?"
Jane:  "Can you buy me one of these?  They can fit pacifiers in their mouths."  (Note:  the failure of many of Jane's dolls to "fit pacifiers in their mouths" is an unending source of disappointment for her.)
Me:  "Those are real babies - they aren't for sale.  They're just showing the different baby clothes that you can buy from this catalog."
Jane:  "They have a lot of them in here.  Can you buy me one of them for a baby sister?"
Me:  "Jane, we can't buy a baby from a catalog."
Jane:  "Look!!  Here are two more.  Can you buy me one of these?"
Me:  "No, we can't buy a real baby."
Jane:  "When I turn four can we order one?  For a little sister?  Who fits a pacifier in her mouth?"
Margot (walking into room):  "Jane, you can't order a real baby from a catalog."
Jane: "Margot!  I know that.  Mama has to order it for me."