Sunday, October 11, 2009

Violent Tendencies

We are in the kitchen.  Don is making dinner, and I am sitting at the kitchen table editing photos on my laptop.  We've put a gate up to keep our totally untrained dogs from rampaging around the house eating Polly Pockets.  Jane appears at the gate, dressed in a pumpkin costume, and presents yet another request for a non-dinner food item.  Having already requested (and been denied) grilled cheese and candy, she goes for yogurt.

Jane:  "Pumpkin wants some yogurt."
Me:  "No, Jane.  We're about to have dinner."
Jane:  "I want yogurt for my dinner."
Don:  "You can't have yogurt for dinner, but you can have some for dessert."
Jane:  "If I can't have some yogurt, I am going to crack someone's head open."
[Don & I stare at each other, dumbfounded - then, in a terrific error of judgment - burst out laughing.]
Jane (moving gate and furiously entering kitchen):  "It's not funny.  I want to come in this gate and have a YOGURT CONSEQUENCE.  Right now!"
[pause]
Jane (regrouping; gesturing toward my Birra Moretti):  "Fine.  Then can I have a drink of this?"
Me:  "No, Jane.  Kids can't drink beer."
Jane:  "Well, I know.  But I like it.  I drank it when you were sick."
Me:  "No, you didn't.  You can't drink this."
Jane:  "I can drink this.  I like it."
Me:  "No."
[Margot comes into kitchen.]
Jane (glaring):  "Margot.  Pumpkin is very angry."