Thursday, October 22, 2009

Oh, Negativity

Claire can be a bit of a pessimist, so we've been talking with her about (a) not falling into negative thinking when something frustrates her; and (b) not doing things that actually make her own life worse (e.g., intentionally escalating arguments). This approach, to date, seems to be a near total failure.  Today's conversation:

Me:  "Hi, Claire.  How are you?"
Claire:  "Exasperated."
Me:  "Why?"
Claire:  "Because.  Jane and Margot are annoying me."
Me: (changing subject):  "So . . . how was your day?"
Claire:  "Not great.  I had to stay in for recess for the fourth day in a row."
Me:  "Why?"
Claire:  "I don't know."
Me:  "Really?  Didn't Ms. R say why you had to stay in?"
Claire:  "Um . . . I'm not sure."
Me:  [Silence.  Because that answer is a complete and total lie.]
Claire:  "Oh, I remember.  It was for sliding down the banister at school."
Me:  "Hmm.  Was it the first time you did that?
Claire:  "No.  The tenth, I think."

Ah, the tenth time.  No wonder she was so mystified that there was a consequence.