Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Royal Rudeness

The girls and I were making cookies recently and Claire jokingly referred to me as "Your Royal Highness."  Jane gasped and said, "Claire, that's rude!"  Totally baffled, I asked Jane to clarify.

Me:  "Jane, why do you think it's rude to say "Your Royal Highness"?"
Jane:  "Claire, you know why."
Claire:  "No, I don't - and it's not actually rude."
Jane:  "You're the one who told me it was rude."
Claire:  "I did not!"
Jane:  "Yes, you did.  It's rude because it means bum."
Me:  "Jane, "Your Royal Highness" does not mean "bum."
Jane: "Claire said it does."
Me:  "I'm sure she didn't say that!  Did you, Claire?"
Claire:  [silence]
Me:  "Claire, did you tell her that?"
Claire:  "Not exactly."
Me:  "What did you say to her?"
Claire:  "Well . . . I did say "Your Royal Hiney."
Jane:  "See?!  I told you it's rude!"