Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Best Defense is a Good Offense

Yesterday in the car Margot began screaming that Claire had hit her over the head with a book.  Before I could even question the veracity of the claim, Claire defensively announced that "Margot deserved it - she is humming right in my ear and won't stop!"

Me:  "Claire, why are we having this conversation?  What I have I told you about this?"
Claire:  "Not to use a physical response when I am mad at Margot."
Me:  "How many times have we talked about this topic?"
Claire:  "I don't know.  Probably 1000."
Me:  "What are you supposed to do if she is bothering you?"
Claire:  "Mommy, I know.   I'm supposed to ask her to stop, and if she won't stop after I ask more than once, I'm supposed to tell a grown-up."
Me:  "Are you supposed to hit her?"
Claire:  "Well, no.  But, Mommy - she was doing it in order to annoy me.   So, I already knew that she wasn't going to stop, no matter how many times I asked her and no matter how many times you asked her.  I had no choice but to resort immediately to hitting her."