Monday, July 9, 2012

Sweet Caroline

We were recently driving home from a Red Sox game during which we - and, in particular, Margot - had enthusiastically belted out "Sweet Caroline" along with the rest of the crowd.  I pulled up Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits (readily accessible on my my iPhone), triggering Don's usual exclamations of horror.  I reiterated my chronic dismay at his failure to appreciate anything about Neil, who was a formative musical influence for me.

The alliances became clear:  Claire supported Don and argued fervently that every song by Neil Diamond is "atrocious."  Margot was on my side; our main response was to sing "Sweet Caroline" louder and louder.  Finally, I turned to Jane to cast the decisive vote.

Me:  "Jane, do you like Neil Diamond?"
Jane:  "Well, I do really like "Sweet Caroline.""
Me:  [optimistically silent]
Jane:  "But - it would be better if Beyonce sang it.  Like, a lot better."