Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Talk Talk Talking . . .

001Tonight Margot was asked to go play quietly while Lindsay, our super-nanny, put Jane to bed.  A few minutes later, Margot appeared in the doorway and announced that she could not, in fact, play by herself.   The conversation went something like this:

Margot:  “Lindsay, I can’t play by myself.”
Lindsay:  “Why not?”
Margot:  “It’s just to much work making different voices and pretending to be different people.  I can only be, like, four people at once – but after a few minutes I'm tired of playing those people.  And . . .I can only make about two voices, so even if I pretend to be a ton of people, I know that I’m not, because I hear my voice every time.   Ugh.  It’s sooooo boring!”
[pause]
Margot (turning away):  “Okay, I’m going back to my room.”
Polly Pocket doll:  “Me, too!”
Margot: See??  Same voice as mine.  So frustrating.”

Query whether this indicates a weakening of the Chatterbox's talking-based superpower?