Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Common Knowledge

Claire: "Mom, can you tell me everything you know about Bikini Atoll?"
Me: "I don't actually know that much about it."
Claire: "Then just tell me the part that you know."
Me: "Well, Bikini Atoll was a nuclear testing site many years ago."
Claire: "It was a nuclear testing site in the 1940s and the 1950s. But was it American and British nuclear testing? Or just American?"
Me: "Um, I'm not really sure."
Claire (with exasperation): "Okay. What do you know about frequent explosions?"
Me: "I don't actually know a lot about frequent explosions either."
Claire: "Mom, can you just tell me everything you know about frequent explosions?"
Me: "What kind of explosions?"
Claire (with resignation): "Never mind, Mom. But you really should know about these things if you want to be a grown-up."