Monday, September 15, 2008

Actually, It DOES Sound a Bit Unreasonable

I was at a friend's baby shower this weekend, and she reminded me of one my all-time favorite discussions with Margot. When Jane was an infant, and Margot was probably about three years old, we had a conversation about how babies are born. The girls already knew that babies grow in their mothers' uteruses -- and, although they had not then (and, actually, still haven't) asked how the baby gets into the uterus, Margot had raised the question of how the baby gets out. So I explained to her that the mother would know that it was time for the baby to be born, that the parents would go to the hospital, and that the baby would eventually get out of the mother's body through the mother's vagina. Margot stared at me in dead silence. After about 30 seconds, she said, "Mommy -- how does it really get out?"

Claire, ever the modest one, thought for a minute and said, "WAIT! Do you have to take your underwear off for this?!"