Friday, May 16, 2008

An Interesting Fact about the Vagina

Margot and Jane were in the bathtub when I heard Margot solemnly intone, in a sort of thoughtful-documentary-movie-narrator voice: "The vagina can hold more water than a university. " I looked over to see her carefully pouring water into an upside down baby doll that had -- for some totally incomprehensible reason -- a perfectly round hole smack in the middle of her nether-regions.

I immediately reported this strange statement to Don, who suggested that perhaps Margot was confusing "university" with "uterus." Putting aside the fact that I think a vagina would actually hold less water than a uterus, I conceded that he might be onto something. I returned to the bathroom and had the following conversation with Margot:

Me: "Hey, Margot. Do you remember the name of the body part where the baby lives when it is growing inside its mommy?"

Margot: "Uh-huh."

Me: "Well, what is it?"

Margot: "Um . . . museum?"